05 August 2006

broken glass

Two days ago I managed to step on the bottom of a broken glass and since I stepped on the edge the other side flew up and inserted itself an inch below the inside of my left ankle. I proceeded to bleed about 1/4 of a cup of blood on the sidewalk before we managed to get some tissues. We then couldn't find a taxi to take me back home, so Mirvet (my Jordanian friend) left me sitting on the curb bleeding, while she went and found a cab. I did finally make it back, but it was a definite adventure. The wound is now healing very well and has not gotten infected.
I have only 4 days until I leave Jordan. Which made me start thinking about whether I wanted to go home or not. On one hand, I am really enjoying my time here and feel like I have finally gotten into the swing of things here. On the other hand, I will have been gone for 9 weeks and am really looking forward to getting back to normal life. So, I've compiled a list of things I can't wait to have/do at home and a list of things I'll really miss when I leave Jordan.

Things I'm looking forward to:
1. spinach salads (I know its weird, but I've really missed them)
2. my family and friends (it really has been too long)
3.washing machines (after 9 weeks of doing my laundry in the bath tub, I'm ready to have really clean clothes)
4. buildings that are other colors than beige (seriously, I'm really sick of beige)
5. thai and korean food (although I did have some amazing sushi while I was here)
6. buying books
7. driving myself around (no more taxis for me)
8. walking around barefoot on sidewalks that don't have broken glass on them
9. breathing without inhaling a ton of second-hand smoke
10. sleeping in my own room

Things I'll miss:
1. falafel (oh man, the falafel here is amazing, actually I'm going to get one right now)
2. the random 'your beautiful' comments
3. colorful veils/hijabs
4. haggling for everything I buy
5. walks on campus
6. listening to the Quran on the radio in cabs
7. belly dancing class
8. our hotel staff
9. the group and roommates
10. "welcome to Jordan" everywhere we go
11. 'lobby time'
12. class in a hotel room

5 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

I understand how you feel, sort of. Leaving a new home is kind of bittersweet. I don't really want to stay here any longer, but I do feel sad about leaving.

emily said...

I made similar lists just before leaving Mexico but they were of things I loved/was going to miss about Mexico and things I wasn't so crazy about/wasn't going to miss about Mexico. It turns out I kinda miss the things on both lists. Of course I am happy to be "home" but some places you just get attached to and they become a real part of your conception of home. I, for one, am glad that you're coming back to this part of your home!

Thirdmango said...

I miss haggling so much! It was quite easy in New England due to yard sales every where.

Th. said...

.

Tissues?

Tissues????!!!!

Bruce said...

Wow, this is going to seem really random, but I typed in Falafel Provo in google, and you came up. I also spent the summer in Jordan and totally agree with you about everything in this entry. Were you there with BYU?
-Bruce