24 September 2008

itinerant

It has been a rough journey these last few months. I completed my thesis and received my Master's Degree from the University of Chicago. A week later Joseph flew out to Boston to attend Harvard for the summer and Emily flew in to help me finish packing up (and I packed her up as well), drive with me to Cleveland, and fly out to Maryland where I stayed with her and her family for a week. We also took a couple of trips down to D.C.

Then it was off to San Francisco to visit my Aunts Susan (yes, plural, and yes they are both named Susan). After an amazing 5 days with them, and, believe me, my visits there are always amazing, I flew to Utah to attend my Grandpa's 90th birthday party.

After that family event, I flew to Arizona to spend some time at home with my parent and brother, but because I am ever restless, I was only there 10 days before I flew with my mother to Cleveland, rented a car, and drove up to Toronto. In the 4-5 days we were in Toronto, my mother and I drove around every neighborhood of Toronto, checked out numerous apartments and, after the most horribly stressful day of trying to get money from the U.S., managed to put a deposit on a very nice apartment.


(note: this is not our furniture, I took these pictures before the previous tenant moved out)

After that eventful trip, my mother and I drove back to Cleveland, met up with the rest of the family and then headed back to Canada to spend a day and a half in Niagara Falls. After our brief time there and the most horrible tour I have ever been on, my whole family (sans Joseph) squeezed into two cars and drove to Vermont, where we met up with Joseph and stayed in a cabin near Stratton for a week. Then we all drove down to Boston for a few days to check out the sights. After that short history lesson, I once again said goodbye to my husband, and drove back to Cleveland from Boston with Ben, Debbie, and Parker. I then lived in Ben and Debbie's living room for the next three weeks with Joseph joining me after a week of finals (thanks again, Ben and Deb). After wearing out our welcome several times over, we finally departed Cleveland, drove back to Chicago, rented a mini-van, picked up my dad from the airport, loaded up all our stuff, and drove to Toronto. After a small fender-bender between our car and the rental car, we finally made it across the border at 1 am and the next day (August 31) moved into our lovely apartment.

That is the summary of the last few months. No wonder I am still exhausted.

3 comments:

emily said...

1. she blogs, halleluhjah!

2. ah that's me in your santa claus bag! remember when you packed me in your giant duffel/body bag?

3. i can't wait to come visit you in your purty new apartment!

4. never been to niagara falls. i take it i should skip the tour? all i can think of is that scene in bruce almighty, when he flips out in an umbrella hat on the maid of the mist.

5. you should blog more often so that i can make these comments on separate posts!

Heather said...

OK, I forgive you for being gone so long....just reading that made me tired. Now that you are settled in Canada promise to keep us updated on the Schlegel happenings. (sorry if I butchered the spelling)

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

WoW! That is the craziest summer I've ever heard of, and I thought mine was unbelievably crazy. You win. I am glad you are back in blogerland. I've missed you, but am WAY thrilled you got your Master's. Why are you guys in Canada?