06 October 2006

random questions

-Can anyone explain my weird addiction to French music, considering my aversion to that language?

-Why on earth do I like dead flowers? Not that I don't like them alive as well, but I just love the look of drooping dry flowers. While we are asking questions, what is the probability of two girls in the same apartment (out of the three that live there) having the same strange and morbid appreciation for vases of dying and dead flowers?

-Why is it that people either think I'm a flaming/radical/tree-hugging/democratic/loose/anti-culture wench, or a goody-goody/follow-the-rules/easily-offended/molly-mormon/conservative hag? oh wait, that's right, I'm in Provo. So, any who associate with me here (to any degree of intimacy beyond the 'I sit next to you in class') think of me as the former and those who I associate with outside of Provo, upon hearing that I'm at BYU, assume I'm the later. Not that I'm not a confusing and confused mix of the above, I would just like my contradictory/mind-boggling personality recognized.

-Why, no matter how many times I write them, can I never spell 'restaurant' or 'foreign' correctly?

-Why are all my recent artist crushes female? My music has been mostly Mirah, Emiliana, and Camille lately and my favorite poets of the moment are Sappho (I'm trying to read at least 3 fragments in Greek a week ('cause I have time)), Sylvia Plath (I never tire of her), H.D., and Atwood. To be fair though, I have listened to a fair amount of Sufjan, Dylan, and Microphones, but I'm not nearly as enamored with them. The same goes from the male poets in my life.

-Why am I now an idiot in math? and on a related topic, why the hell haven't I studied for the GRE? I can't believe I'm taking it on Sunday.

-Why did I only go to approximately 60% of my classes this week? Oh yeah, I have better, more productive things to do with my time.

-Why can't I be attracted to nice mormon boys, especially nice BYU mormon boys? Why am I even asking that question?

I'm now done. Here is a really funny picture taken at Ephesus this summer. I thought I would post something to reward those who actually read through all my stupid questions. For those of you who skipped to the picture, shame on you.

3 comments:

emily said...

The French seem to make good music. They can't really help it that their language is swallowed.

The deader they get, the more beautiful they are. I think it has something to do with their ephemerality (is that on the gre?) and that death is such an integral part of their essence. I can't quite articulate it but it's just so hard to throw them away.

I forgot what else I was going to respond to. the end.

emily said...

by the way, I switched to flowers there in the third sentence. I wasn't just talking about the French the whole time.

that should clear up any confusion

Sarah said...

i think many 'normal mormons' (if there is such a thing) often have a dichotomy of perceptions about them. one from mormons, one from non-mormons. apparently normalcy is relative.