06 March 2006

I appologize to Sappho in advance

This is tonight's rather pathetic attempt at sapphic meter. English does not lend itself to sapphic and I am new to writing with a specific meter in mind. Some of it still feels forced and I had to give up the meter at the end of the second line because I refused to change the word 'echo'. It also does not have a name and I am not even sure if it is finished yet (or if I will ever finish it).
With all my disclaimers taken care of, here we go:

Those insatiable eyes shall sear my marrow,
And resonating life, his voice will echo
Through hallow halls deep within my eager mind
(And again he'll sing)

Bewitching as well-written time sustaining lines
Lines which were Sappho’s that arose and fell
Dancing beats of samba that only are felt
Deep within my heart.

2 comments:

emily said...

A valiant attempt indeed. I'm sure Sappho would be flattered. I especially like that first line of the second stanza. Bewitching indeed. Might I use "indeed" again? Indeed.

Anonymous said...

Magical words, but I need some schooling in Sappho and such to truly appreciate the task...